News | Entertainment
16 Apr 2021 10:58
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Alec Baldwin’s defamation allegations against a man who alleged the actor hit him can go forward to trial

    The 'Saturday Night Live' star got caught up in a row over a parking space with Wojciech Cieszkowski in New York in November 2018, and subsequently insisted the man lied when he claimed the 62-year-old actor had punched him in the face


    And now Manhattan Supreme Court Justice David Cohen has denied Wojciech's bid to have the defamation claim thrown out.

    According to the New York Post newspaper, the ruling stated: “The plaintiff must meet a high bar of proof on his motion to dismiss and, since he fails to definitively prove the truthfulness of his interpretation of the incident, he does not meet his burden.”

    However, the judge granted a request to have Alec's allegation that the man's lies led to his false imprisonment dismissed because the man hadn't imprisoned the 'Boss Baby' star himself.

    He also found Wojciech couldn't be held liable for defamation for any statements he made to the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which ultimately prosecuted Alec over the incident.

    Lawyers for both men were pleased with the ruling on Thursday (04.03.21).

    Alex's representative, Luke Nikas, said: “We’re very pleased with the decision.

    “From the beginning, Alec has maintained that these charges were frivolous.”

    And Wojciech's lawyer, Douglas Lieb, said: “We are pleased that the court found Mr. Baldwin’s false imprisonment claim to be baseless.

    “Since Mr. Baldwin seems determined to put his reputation at issue in this case, we look forward to exploring that reputation at trial.”

    The legal battle between the two men began in April 2019 when Wojciech sued Alec for assault and slander after the parking space row. He then claimed the '30 Rock' star had lied when he told interviewers Ellen DeGeneres and Howard Stern that he thought the man was going to run over his wife, Hilaria Baldwin.

    But the judge dismissed the slander claim, ruling that Alec's statements in public were exaggerations and opinions, which do not rise to the level of defamation.

    Alec then filed his counterclaims, alleging Wojciech had defamed him when speaking to police, medical staff at the hospital where he was treated, the media, and a court room and telling them all he had been punched in the face.

    Following the original dispute, the 'Motherless Brooklyn' actor pleaded guilty to harassment and was sentenced to anger management classes and ordered to pay a $120 fine.

    © 2021 Bang Showbiz, NZCity


     Other Entertainment News
     16 Apr: Queen Elizabeth returned to work just four days after the death of Prince Philip
     16 Apr: Tan France is to be a father for the first time
     16 Apr: Hank Azaria has apologised to "every single Indian person" for voicing Apu in 'The Simpsons'
     16 Apr: Justin Bieber's bodyguards checked his pulse at night at the height of his drug-using days
     16 Apr: Katy Perry has opened up on her "modern family" with Orlando Bloom and his ex-wife Miranda Kerr
     16 Apr: Matt Willis has revealed the Church of Scientology tried to break up his relationship with Emma Willis
     16 Apr: Brittany Cartwright has given birth to a baby boy
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Hurricanes want halfback TJ Perenara back next year More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Auckland's Heart of the City boss has concerns for central businesses after a firearms incident More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Queen Elizabeth returned to work just four days after the death of Prince Philip 10:54

    Law and Order:
    Police are still investigating a serious gang-related firearms incident at a downtown Auckland hotel 10:46

    Rugby League:
    The Warriors are still trying to perfect their NRL recipe 10:26

    Entertainment:
    Tan France is to be a father for the first time 10:24

    Business:
    Auckland's Heart of the City boss has concerns for central businesses after a firearms incident 10:06

    Entertainment:
    Hank Azaria has apologised to "every single Indian person" for voicing Apu in 'The Simpsons' 9:54

    Motoring:
    Motorists are being advised to avoid travelling over the Remutaka Hill 9:26

    Entertainment:
    Justin Bieber's bodyguards checked his pulse at night at the height of his drug-using days 9:24

    Entertainment:
    Katy Perry has opened up on her "modern family" with Orlando Bloom and his ex-wife Miranda Kerr 8:54

    Entertainment:
    Matt Willis has revealed the Church of Scientology tried to break up his relationship with Emma Willis 8:24


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2021 New Zealand City Ltd