News | Entertainment
16 Apr 2021 22:26
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Alec Baldwin’s defamation allegations against a man who alleged the actor hit him can go forward to trial

    The 'Saturday Night Live' star got caught up in a row over a parking space with Wojciech Cieszkowski in New York in November 2018, and subsequently insisted the man lied when he claimed the 62-year-old actor had punched him in the face


    And now Manhattan Supreme Court Justice David Cohen has denied Wojciech's bid to have the defamation claim thrown out.

    According to the New York Post newspaper, the ruling stated: “The plaintiff must meet a high bar of proof on his motion to dismiss and, since he fails to definitively prove the truthfulness of his interpretation of the incident, he does not meet his burden.”

    However, the judge granted a request to have Alec's allegation that the man's lies led to his false imprisonment dismissed because the man hadn't imprisoned the 'Boss Baby' star himself.

    He also found Wojciech couldn't be held liable for defamation for any statements he made to the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which ultimately prosecuted Alec over the incident.

    Lawyers for both men were pleased with the ruling on Thursday (04.03.21).

    Alex's representative, Luke Nikas, said: “We’re very pleased with the decision.

    “From the beginning, Alec has maintained that these charges were frivolous.”

    And Wojciech's lawyer, Douglas Lieb, said: “We are pleased that the court found Mr. Baldwin’s false imprisonment claim to be baseless.

    “Since Mr. Baldwin seems determined to put his reputation at issue in this case, we look forward to exploring that reputation at trial.”

    The legal battle between the two men began in April 2019 when Wojciech sued Alec for assault and slander after the parking space row. He then claimed the '30 Rock' star had lied when he told interviewers Ellen DeGeneres and Howard Stern that he thought the man was going to run over his wife, Hilaria Baldwin.

    But the judge dismissed the slander claim, ruling that Alec's statements in public were exaggerations and opinions, which do not rise to the level of defamation.

    Alec then filed his counterclaims, alleging Wojciech had defamed him when speaking to police, medical staff at the hospital where he was treated, the media, and a court room and telling them all he had been punched in the face.

    Following the original dispute, the 'Motherless Brooklyn' actor pleaded guilty to harassment and was sentenced to anger management classes and ordered to pay a $120 fine.

    © 2021 Bang Showbiz, NZCity


     Other Entertainment News
     16 Apr: Sharon Osbourne will discuss her departure from ‘The Talk’ in an upcoming interview with Bill Maher
     16 Apr: Zayn Malik and Gigi “aren’t in any rush” to get married
     16 Apr: Andra Day feels “overwhelmed” to be nominated for an Oscar
     16 Apr: Katie Price says her mum Amy “hasn’t got long to live”
     16 Apr: Courtney Stodden has changed their pronouns to they/them
     16 Apr: Jennifer Aniston is not adopting a child, according to her representative
     16 Apr: Serena Williams is getting her own Amazon series
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ex-All Blacks wing Julian Savea has extended his second stint with the Hurricanes More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    An overseas family's been slapped with nearly 1.4-million dollars in fines and legal fees - for breaching the Overseas Investment Act More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    At least eight people have died in a shooting at a FedEx warehouse in Indianapolis 21:56

    Entertainment:
    Sharon Osbourne will discuss her departure from ‘The Talk’ in an upcoming interview with Bill Maher 21:54

    Entertainment:
    Zayn Malik and Gigi “aren’t in any rush” to get married 21:24

    Law and Order:
    The US has been rocked by another mass shooting 21:16

    Entertainment:
    Andra Day feels “overwhelmed” to be nominated for an Oscar 20:54

    Entertainment:
    Katie Price says her mum Amy “hasn’t got long to live” 20:24

    Entertainment:
    Courtney Stodden has changed their pronouns to they/them 19:54

    Entertainment:
    Jennifer Aniston is not adopting a child, according to her representative 19:24

    Accident and Emergency:
    A person has serious injuries after an incident on State Highway One, near Puhoi, which has closed the southbound lane 18:56

    Entertainment:
    Serena Williams is getting her own Amazon series 18:54


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2021 New Zealand City Ltd