News | Entertainment
9 May 2021 15:29
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William has withdrawn from the BAFTA Awards on Sunday (11.04.21)

    The 38-year-old royal was due to deliver a speech at the annual awards show, via a video link, but he has withdrawn from the event following the passing of Prince Philip


    Prince William was set to speak about the resilience of the British film industry amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Duke of Edinburgh was actually BAFTA’s first-ever president, between 1959 and 1965, and he continued to support the organisation throughout his life.

    And after Prince Philip's passing was confirmed by Buckingham Palace on Friday (09.04.21), the organisation released a statement to express its sympathies.

    BAFTA said: "We are deeply saddened by the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, whose close association with the Academy spanned over 60 years.

    "HRH The Duke of Edinburgh became the organisation's first president in 1959, one year after the British Film Academy and the Guild of Television Producers and Directors merged to create the Society of Film and Television Arts, a forerunner of BAFTA. The Duke represented the Society until 1965 and presented awards at ceremonies during this period."

    The statement later added: "The Duke occupies a special place in the Academy’s history and will be missed enormously.

    "Our thoughts are with the royal family, to whom we offer our deepest sympathy."

    Meanwhile, a source has claimed that Prince Philip wanted to die "in his own bed" and "on his own terms".

    The royal - who passed away at Windsor Castle at the age of 99 - spent almost a month in hospital earlier this year, where he was treated for an infection and a heart condition.

    The insider said: "He spent most of the four weeks he was in hospital trying to get home. They operated on his heart in a bid to give him a little longer, maybe with the 100th birthday in mind. But he didn't really care about that.

    "There is no way he would have wanted to die in hospital."

    © 2021 Bang Showbiz, NZCity


     Other Entertainment News
     08 May: Bebe Rexha believes sexuality is “a scale”
     08 May: Liam Hemsworth could be set to propose to Gabriella Brooks
     08 May: Hilary Duff’s children have been “really loving” toward their new sibling
     08 May: Demi Moore couldn’t be happier for her daughter, Tallulah Willis, after her engagement news
     08 May: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have released a new photo of their son Archie to mark his second birthday on Thursday (06.05.21)
     08 May: The Prince of Wales is "enormously proud" of the Welsh Guards who took part in the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
     08 May: Jeremy Piven is to make his UK stand-up comedy debut
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Reducing the Southern Steel's ball possession is key for the Stars in their ANZ Premiership netball clash this afternoon in Auckland More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Auckland's dam levels have dipped below 50 percent again More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    Police are concerned about a missing Hamilton teenager who hasn't been seen for nearly 24 hours 15:27

    Rugby:
    Reducing the Southern Steel's ball possession is key for the Stars in their ANZ Premiership netball clash this afternoon in Auckland 15:17

    Rugby League:
    The Warriors want redemption over Manly in this afternoon's NRL match at Brookvale 14:07

    Motorsports:
    Ford's Anton De Pasquale has claimed the first two pole positions of his Supercars career for today's two races at Tailem Bend 13:57

    Golf:
    Bryson DeChambeau has had to learn an expensive lesson before the third round of the latest PGA Tour event in Charlotte 13:47

    Wellington:
    Police are investigating after a Wellington bus crashed into several parked cars last night 13:37

    Politics:
    The Government's promising to be proactive about cancer screening for women 13:37

    Law and Order:
    A former New Zealand First candidate is facing five charges of indecently assaulting multiple teenage girls 13:27

    Rugby:
    The Crusaders will celebrate their latest achievement, before quickly turning their attention to the five sides from across the ditch 12:47

    Rugby:
    They've had a taste of it, now the Chiefs are determined to grow from their defeat in the Super Rugby Aotearoa final 11:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2021 New Zealand City Ltd