News | Entertainment
18 May 2022 3:21
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Novak Djokovic is "extremely disappointed" after losing another bid to stay in Australia

    The 34-year-old tennis star had his visa revoked on 6 January but the decision was overturned days later.


    Only for it to then be taken away again on "health and good order" grounds, leading to another hearing on Sunday (16.01.22), where the sportsman applied for a judicial review but had his request denied.

    Djokovic will not appeal again and vowed to "cooperate" with authorities over his removal from the country, even though he is saddened not to be able to defend his Australian Open crown.

    He said: "I would like to make a brief statement to address the outcomes of today's Court hearing.

    "I will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this.

    "I am extremely disappointed with the Court ruling to dismiss my application for judicial review of the Minister's decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open.

    "I respect the Court's ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country.

    "I am uncomfortable that the focus of the past weeks has been on me and I hope that we can all now focus on the game and tournament I love.

    "I would like to wish the players, tournament officials, staff, volunteers and fans all the best for the tournament.

    "Finally, I would like to thank my family, friends, team, supporters, fans and my fellow Serbians for your continued support. You have all been a great source of strength to me."

    Djokovic's visa was initially revoked after it was deemed he had "failed to provide appropriate evidence" to receive a vaccine exemption.

    It was later revealed he had tested positive for COVID last month, and earlier this week the star admitted to breaking isolation while COVID positive when he attended a newspaper interview.

    Djokovic insisted he "didn't want to let the journalist down", but the sportsman admitted that was an "error of judgement".

    What's more, the world number one men's tennis player revealed that on his travel declaration form a box was ticked claiming he hadn't visited any other countries in the 14 days prior to his flight to Australia.

    The star has since insisted his agent ticked the "no" box by mistake, putting it down to "human error".

    The sportsman now faces immediate deportation and a three-year ban from Australia.

    © 2022 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 May: 'American Pie' star Thomas Ian Nicholas' estranged wife has filed for divorce
     17 May: Dame Deborah James says she's "getting weaker" and is also "tired" from the "pure adrenaline" of being honoured with a Damehood
     17 May: 'American Idol' has been renewed for another year
     17 May: Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra's daughter is a "little fighter and a miracle"
     17 May: Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex will stay at Frogmore Cottage when they return to the UK next month
     17 May: Natalia Dyer thought she'd "bombed" her 'Stranger Things' auditions
     17 May: Kalush Orchestra release haunting official film clip for Eurovision-winning song shot in war-torn Ukraine
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Blues midfielder Rieko Ioane has been ruled out of this weekend's Super Rugby Pacific match against the Brumbies in Canberra with a hamstring strain More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Should you leave your money in superannuation or put it towards a deposit for a first home? More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    Leaked list of people sentenced on terrorism-related charges reveals scale of imprisonment in China's Uyghur heartland 22:50

    Law and Order:
    A 65-year-old man has been arrested and charged with murder after a body was located in an area of the Waipoua Forest, near State Highway 12, Waimamaku, this afternoon 21:50

    Law and Order:
    Police are urging the public for video footage after a disorder incident in Rotorua this evening 21:50

    Entertainment:
    'American Pie' star Thomas Ian Nicholas' estranged wife has filed for divorce 21:48

    Entertainment:
    Dame Deborah James says she's "getting weaker" and is also "tired" from the "pure adrenaline" of being honoured with a Damehood 21:18

    Entertainment:
    'American Idol' has been renewed for another year 20:48

    Entertainment:
    Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra's daughter is a "little fighter and a miracle" 20:18

    Entertainment:
    Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex will stay at Frogmore Cottage when they return to the UK next month 19:48

    Soccer:
    The Loop: Coalition shares election costings, refugee advocate wins court appeal, and an English soccer player comes out as gay 19:40

    Entertainment:
    Natalia Dyer thought she'd "bombed" her 'Stranger Things' auditions 19:18


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2022 New Zealand City Ltd