News | Entertainment
11 Aug 2022 16:38
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has again asked for a lawsuit brought against her by her half-sister be dismissed

    The 40-year-old royal is being sued for defamation by 57-year-old Samantha Markle, who has claimed the former 'Suits' actress made "false and malicious statements" about her in her bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey last year, and she has branded the lawsuit "meritless"


    Meghan - who has children Archie, three, and Lili, 12 months, with husband Prince Harry - originally filed to have the case dismissed on 17 June but the judge denied the duchess' request four days later because Samantha had filed an amended complaint.

    As a result, on Monday (27.06.22), the former 'Suits' actress filed a new motion for dismissal, arguing against the claims made in the author's "meritless defamation case" and insisting Samantha had deleted numerous specific factual allegations and exhibits from her original complaint," claiming that the facts would "completely undermine" her estranged half-sibling's case.

    Documents obtained by Us Weekly magazine added: "Most obviously, her original complaint attached a 2018 email from Meghan to the then-Communications Secretary of Kensington Palace, Jason Knauf, that Plaintiff alleged was the basis for the allegedly defamatory statements in 'Finding Freedom'.

    "However, the email on its face disproved Plaintiff's claim that Meghan was somehow responsible for the authors' allegedly defamatory statements in 'Finding Freedom'.

    "Indeed, in her desperation to save her case, Plaintiff quite literally fabricated one of the statements, as evidenced by the missing interview transcript."

    Samantha had previously claimed Meghan was not honest about her past relationships with her family when she told Oprah Winfrey she had never been close to her half-sister or half-brother Thomas Markle Jr. when she was growing up.

    The duchess said at the time: "I grew up as an only child, which everyone who grew up around me knows, and I wished I had siblings. I would have loved to have had siblings.

    "[She] changed her last name back to Markle in her early 50s ... only when I started dating Harry. So, I think that says enough."

    Samantha insisted Meghan had lied so she and her father, Thomas Markle "could not interfere with or contradict the false narrative and fairytale life story [she] concocted."

    But Meghan doesn't feel the nature of their familial relationships should form the basis of a lawsuit.

    Her documents stated: "We do not empanel juries to rule on whether two people are 'close,' or whether one genuinely feels that they 'grew up as an only child.

    "Courts are not equipped to adjudicate the legitimacy of a person's feelings about their childhood and relationships. Nor should they be. ... This dispute has no place in this Court or any other."

    Meghan also requested to be awarded her attorney's fees.

    © 2022 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     11 Aug: Joe Exotic hopes a former '90 Day Fiance' star can help him get released from prison
     11 Aug: Dame Olivia Newton-John's daughter has paid a touching tribute to the late actress
     11 Aug: Denise Dowse is in a coma after contracting meningitis
     11 Aug: Oscars producer Will Packer has praised Will Smith for his public apology to Chris Rock
     11 Aug: WWE has discovered more "unrecorded expenses" made by Vince McMahon bringing the total to $19.6 million
     11 Aug: Olivia Newton-John "was not afraid" of dying
     11 Aug: Donald Trump is "furious yet scared" after the FBI raided Mar A Lago
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    South Africa will start with hooker Joseph Dweba in Saturday's second Rugby Championship Test against New Zealand after Bongi Mbonambi withdrew due to a knee injury picked up in training More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Kiwis with itchy feet are taking the chance to see the world again More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    The NRL is in shock following the death of premiership-winning coach Paul Green, aged 49 16:29

    Entertainment:
    Joe Exotic hopes a former '90 Day Fiance' star can help him get released from prison 16:20

    Law and Order:
    A third murder charge - in relation to the death of a 33-year-old Taranaki father 16:19

    Law and Order:
    Facebook gave US police access to private messages in abortion case against mother and daughter 16:09

    Entertainment:
    Dame Olivia Newton-John's daughter has paid a touching tribute to the late actress 15:50

    Law and Order:
    Two young people have been arrested after a gang of teens assaulted a worker at a Palmerston North shopping centre 15:29

    Entertainment:
    Denise Dowse is in a coma after contracting meningitis 15:20

    Entertainment:
    Oscars producer Will Packer has praised Will Smith for his public apology to Chris Rock 14:50

    Cricket:
    Runs on the board has prevailed as a strategy for New Zealand in their 13-run win to open the three-match Twenty20 international cricket series against the West Indies in Jamaica 14:49

    Entertainment:
    WWE has discovered more "unrecorded expenses" made by Vince McMahon bringing the total to $19.6 million 14:20


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2022 New Zealand City Ltd