News | International
18 Feb 2026 11:03
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    US military says 11 men killed in strikes on alleged drug smuggling boats

    The strikes are the latest in a string of US strikes on boats in the eastern Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea targeting what Donald Trump alleges are drug trafficking operations.


    The US military says 11 people are dead after it carried out strikes on three vessels in the eastern Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea.

    In a post on X, the US Southern Command said the three vessels struck "were transiting along known narco-trafficking routes and were engaged in narco-trafficking operations".

    "Eleven male narco-terrorists were killed during these actions, 4 on the first vessel in the Eastern Pacific, 4 on the second vessel in the Eastern Pacific, and 3 on the third vessel in the Caribbean,' it said, adding that no US forces were harmed.

    [EL TWEET: Southern command]

    The strikes took place late Monday, local time, and vision published on X by the Southern Command shows missiles striking various vessels. 

    The boats are then shown on fire in the water.

    The US military did not provide evidence of the alleged drug trafficking.

    The attacks are the latest in a string of operations carried out in the waters of the eastern Pacific and Caribbean in what the US government says are attempts to prevent drug smugglers from reaching the United States.

    US President Donald Trump has previously justified the attacks as a necessary step to clamp down on the drug trafficking trade.

    But the military operations have attracted scrutiny from members of the US Congress, with concerns some of the strikes may constitute war crimes.

    Since taking office for the second time in January last year, Mr Trump has dramatically increased US interventions in Central and South America.

    In early January, US forces seized Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro and flew him to New York, where he was charged with a number of offences, including nacro-terrorism conspiracy.


    ABC




    © 2026 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     18 Feb: Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission
     18 Feb: Aerials delay is not unusual, as snow causes chaos at Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics
     18 Feb: The Missing number in the hundreds of thousands in Syria, where mass graves of torture victims are found weekly
     17 Feb: Marquee Canterbury recruit Leo Thompson to miss 10 weeks following calf injury
     17 Feb: Louvre tour guides accused of orchestrating $16m ticket fraud ring over a decade
     17 Feb: Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo
     17 Feb: Winter Olympics 2026: Eileen Gu medals despite blizzard, Ilia Malinin breaks his silence — day 10 quick hits
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    England coach Steve Borthwick's responded to their Six Nations rugby defeat to Scotland by making three changes to his run-on side for Sunday's match with Ireland at Dublin More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A sharp rise in food inflation could unfortunately be out of our control More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    Dozens of Canterbury kids spent a night hunkering down in Banks Peninsula - which was cut off by yesterday's torrential rain 10:47

    Law and Order:
    A man's been arrested - after allegedly attempting to break through the cordon at the Mount Maunganui landslide 10:47

    Entertainment:
    Rosie O'Donnell is shocked by how "very different" the US feels since she left 10:27

    International:
    Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission 10:27

    Law and Order:
    Canterbury Police are investigating after a man reportedly exposed himself indecently in Rolleston - and may have done so more than once 10:27

    Politics:
    NZ is slowly slipping on the global corruption index. Is is time for an anti-corruption agency? 10:07

    Skiing:
    Aerials delay is not unusual, as snow causes chaos at Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics 10:07

    Law and Order:
    The 25-year-old Warkworth man who admitted possessing and distributing child sexual abuse material - worked at a bouncy castle hire company 10:07

    Entertainment:
    Authorities have warned it could take "years" to find Nancy Guthrie 9:57

    Law and Order:
    Former Bulldogs winger Matt Utai is in a serious but stable condition after a drive-by shooting in Sydney 9:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd